Self-care should always be top of mind. Not only important, self-care is necessary to keep a healthy body and sound mind. You know the saying, "You can't pour from an empty cup."? It's true! If you don't have time, money, patience, love, or anything else, you can't expect to give that to others. No matter how much or what we try to give; time, money, patience, love, if we don't have it, we can't give it. It's impossible! Think of self-care as a gift to others. The better you feel, the more you'll have to share with others.
The key to self-care is to find something that fills YOU. Whether you decide to exercise or enjoy a spa day, you have to enjoy the activity. Without enjoyment, you won't reap the benefits. Because of this, it's important to choose an activity that you enjoy.
- Alone Time: It's important to take a few minutes each day for yourself. Meditationis not necessary for self-care, but it is one of the more helpful options. Five minutes at a time to start is perfect if you're new to meditating. As a matter of fact, the Headspaceapp is a great place to start.
- Read: If you're busy wrangling kids, a career, household, etc., it's may feel counterproductive to sit and read. However, the busier you are, the more important it is to take time for yourself.
- Unplug: Put the electronics away! I know, you're on a phone or computer right now. But finish reading and then unplug. A few minutes will work wonders!
- Exercise: If you're already exercising regularly, CONGRATULATIONS! You're already indulging in self-care.
- Say No: This one can be a bit more difficult than enjoying a good book or day at the spa. It's important to have boundaries when it comes to your time. It's OK to say no, if it interferes with your well-being or if you simply need a break.
REMEMBER: Self-care is equally important to fitness and diet when it comes staying healthy. What the last thing you did for YOU?